Jump to Page:
Patrick T. WhitePartner
PRACTICE GROUPS AND INDUSTRY AREAS
Patrick T. White practices in the firm’s litigation department, focusing primarily on professional liability defense, construction law, transportation law, and all areas of insurance law. He has experience guiding clients through both civil litigation and arbitration proceedings. Mr. White has experience defending mining companies, construction contractors, retail stores, lawyers, insurance agents, real estate agents, and transportation companies. For example:
- Mr. White defends claims against commercial transportation companies, particularly claims involving tractor-trailers. Current cases concern vehicular collisions and loading dock accidents.
- He has experience defending recreational facilities. Past cases involved defending baseball facilities from accidents involving foul balls and defending parks from accidents involving playground equipment.
- Mr. White represents commercial developers and earth movers. He has experience defending claims involving the construction of commercial developments, including claims concerning blasting and the design and construction of deep fills.
- In a prior claim against an insurer for violations of West Virginia’s Unfair Trade Practices Act, Mr. White successfully argued that the plaintiff had not properly filed a claim as defined by the Act. The case was dismissed on summary judgment.
- Mr. White’s experience handling legal malpractice cases has covered a variety of underlying issues, including everything from negligent title work to malicious prosecution. Several of these cases were won on summary judgment.
- West Virginia allows employees to file claims against their employers, in addition to workers’ compensation claims. Mr. White has experience defending these claims, particularly those claims involving mining and construction accidents.
Mr. White currently resides in the historic East End of Charleston, West Virginia, with his wife Molly.
West Virginia University, College of Business and Economics, B.S. in Accounting - Summa Cum Laude (2002)
West Virginia University, College of Business and Economics, B.S. in Finance - Summa Cum Laude (2002)
West Virginia University, J.D. (2005)
West Virginia (2005)
U.S. District Court for Southern District of West Virginia (2005)
PROFESSIONAL AND CIVIC AFFILIATIONS
Defense Research Institute
Defense Trial Counsel of West Virginia
American Bar Association - Member of the Commercial Transportation Litigation Committee and assistant editor of the CTLC Newsletter